About Patterns and Practices
The SharePoint / Office 365 Dev Patterns & Practices (PnP) initiative was originally formed in 2013 by a group of Microsoft consultants who were working on the transformation effort of the Office 365 Dedicated customers to Multi-Tenant. This involved taking the SharePoint full Trust Code Solutions and transforming the customizations to the add-in model, but PnP guidance has started evolving to other areas as well, including Office 365 APIs, Office Add-ins and unified APIs. PnP initiative has now evolved as open source community effort with both internal and external contributors. Notice that SharePoint / Office 365 Dev PnP is not directly linked with the official Patterns and Practices team at Microsoft, which concentrates more on the general development topics.
Here's the actual PnP Core team who control miscellaneous efforts around this initiative.
You are more than welcome to join the team on helping to provide samples which shows different patterns and practices towards add-in model development with SharePoint, Office 365 APIs and Office client. Currently this project is still more focused on the SharePoint scenarios, but we are keeping a keen eye towards including the all-up Office Developer story as we move forward. Your submissions on this area are more than welcome.
The Patterns and Practices team collaborate in the SharePoint Developer group under Microsoft Tech Community. "Sharing is caring!"
How to get started or contribute?
We would recommend you to have a look on specific web cast as "How to get started with Office Dev PnP?" from our Channel 9 video blog. If you are looking to contribute back for the PnP initiative, would recommend to have a look on another web cast called "How to contribute to Office Dev PnP initiative?" or check details on how to get started from our PnP GitHub Wiki, which also contains step-by-step instructions on setting up your environment for GitHub usage. GitHub is slightly different tool than classic TFS, if you have used that in the past, but this guidance will provide you all you need to setup your environment with GitHub and how you can always pull down the latest code to your personal GitHub fork.
Monthly releases and community calls
Office 365 Dev PnP releases are done typically first Friday of each month when we perform master merge in GitHub and update Nuget packages among the other key actions. You can always access the latest development time version from the dev branch. We cover details on monthly releases in our monthly community calls. Download calendar invite (ics) to save the call details to your calendar.
Please check the dev.office.com blog section for always up to date news also around the Office Dev PnP program.
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices - September 2016 release
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices - August 2016 release
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices - June 2016 release
- Contributing to Office Dev PnP and SharePoint PnP documentation just got easier
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices–May 2016 release
- Office Dev PnP Core Component - Training package
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices–April 2016 release
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices–March 2016 release
- Introducing Office Dev Patterns and Practices Office Hours and Interest Groups
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices–February 2016 release
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices–January 2016 release
PnP has two main branches. Master merge happens once a month with more comprehensive testing and release notes with detailed credits for the contributors. Dev branch has all the latest contributions and development.
We have a bunch of on-demand videos, presentations, demos and hands on labs around transforming your farm solutions to the Sharepoint add-in model and PnP guidance. All of this material is for you to use anyway you want. You can create new training packages and deliver this for your customers as well. All videos are in Channel 9 and each of them contains links to module specific resources.
- #1 - Introduction to SharePoint add-in model transition
- #2 - Managing site settings using add-in model
- #3 - Controlling branding in SharePoint using add-in model
- #4 - Building UX components with add-in model
- #5 - Remote timer jobs and event receivers
- #6 - Site collection and site provisioning with add-in model
- #7 - User Personalization and One Drive for Business operations using add-in model
- #8 - Enterprise Content Management and SharePoint add-ins
- #9 - Using search capabilities with add-in model
- #10 - Transformation guidance from farm solutions to add-ins
We have guidance documentation for this initiative that is being built and collaborated on by both the community AND Microsoft in GitHub.com. This documentation is also then monthly published on MSDN too. You can check them out here:
- Developing add-ins using Tenant permissions with App-Only in SharePoint Online | MSDN
- Sandbox solution tranformation guidance | MSDN
- How to provide add-in app only tenant administrative permissions in SharePoint Online | MSDN
- Using correct Client Side Object Model (CSOM) version for SharePoint customizations dev.office.com blog
- Introducing Bulk UPA Custom Profile Properties Update API for SharePoint Online dev.office.com blog
- PnP remote provisioning MSDN
- Transform farm solutions to the SharePoint app model MSDN
- CSOM releases and new capabilities - latest API changes GitHub
- Upload large files sample app for SharePoint (Updated) MSDN Github
- Branding and site provisioning solutions for SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint Online MSDN MSDN
- Using Microsoft Azure WebJobs with Office 365 MSDN GitHub
- Autotagging sample app for SharePoint MSDN GitHub
Our internal Microsoft services teams have shared the project plans, kick off presentation decks, solution assessment report templates, solution design templates and much more. This is a great kit to get you started as a Service Integrator in helping your customers.
- React & Office Graph client-side Web Part samples
Waldek Mastykarz (Rencore). Sample SharePoint Framework Client-Side Web Parts built using React showing interacting with the Office Graph.
- Angular & ngOfficeUIFabric client-side web part
Waldek Mastykarz (Rencore). Sample Web Part illustrating using Angular and ngOfficeUIFabric with the SharePoint Framework.
- SharePoint Web Hooks reference implementation
Bert Jansen (Microsoft) This SharePoint PnP reference implementation shows how you can you can make use of web hooks in your applications. The web hooks are implemented in an enterprise ready manner using various Azure components such as Azure Web Jobs, Azure SQL Server and Azure Storage Queues for asynchronous web job notification handling.
Brian Michely (Microsoft) This sample illustrates how you can quickly build and package React forms with validation and send form data to a SharePoint list via the REST API
Simon-Pierre Plante This sample is a console application that makes it easy to deploy artifacts to SharePoint OnPremise/Online. Based on the PnP Provisioning Engine, it wraps the engine's main functionnalities and provides a new layer responsible for handling tokens, authentication, sequences and logging.
Franck Cornu Intranet projects shouldn’t have to reinvent the wheel every time for basic features (like navigation or multilingualism). This solution aims to provide the fundamental building blocks of a common intranet solution with SharePoint Online/Office 365 through a lightweight client side solution using the latest web stack development tools and frameworks.
Bert Jansen (Microsoft) Using this command line utility you can scan, download, analyze and if possible fix the sandbox solutions in your SharePoint environment. This tool uses multi-threading to improve performance, uses app-only permissions to be able to access all sites and can deal with throttling in case that would happen.
Bert Jansen (Microsoft) An ASP.NET Core implementation of the TokenHelper and SharePointContext classes for use in SharePoint Apps. This library (and sample) demonstrates how to get ASP.NET Core provider-hosted apps authenticated through SharePoint.
PnP Weekly Web Casts
PnP web casts are quick videos recorded around key topics for the Office 365 and SharePoint add-in model development. These are around 30-45 min long recordings on different resources, guidance and other patterns and practices. All web casts will be published to PnP YouTube channel. Older videos are in the PnP Channel 9 video blog
- Introduction to PnP Partner Pack v2 - Paolo Pialorsi & Vesa Juvonen
- Getting started with SharePoint Webhooks - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- Building Angular SharePoint Framework client-side web part - Waldek Mastykarz & Vesa Juvonen
- Building simple SharePoint Framework client-side web part - Waldek Mastykarz & Vesa Juvonen
- PnP PowerShell - Getting started with latest updates - Erwin van Hunen & Vesa Juvonen
- Integrating Angular v1.x to SharePoint Framework client-side web part - Waldek Mastykarz & Vesa Juvonen
- Converting existing JS apps to SharePoint Framework - Waldek Mastykarz & Vesa Juvonen
- Introducing SharePoint WebHooks - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- Introduction to Microsoft Graph .NET SDK - Paolo Pialorsi & Vesa Juvonen
- Preparing for SharePoint Framework - What should I learn? - Waldek Mastykarz & Vesa Juvonen
- Introduction to Bulk UPA Custom Profile Properties Update API - Vesa Juvonen & Bert Jansen
- Getting started with SharePoint Framework - Waldek Mastykarz & Vesa Juvonen
- Getting started with web stack in SharePoint development - Stefan Bauer, Waldek Mastykarz & Vesa Juvonen
- Managing your app principals in Office 365 - Tooling and Scripts - Frank Marasco & Vesa Juvonen
- SharePoint Client Side Object Model versioning for your customizations - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- How to get started with Office Dev PnP? - Vesa Juvonen & Erwin van Hunen
- How to contribute to Office Dev PnP initiative? - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- Responsive UI Package for SharePoint 2013 and 2016 - Paolo Pialorsi & Vesa Juvonen
- Introducing Widget Wrangler for SharePoint development - Bob German, Julie Turner & Vesa Juvonen
- SharePoint Client Side Development and Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) - Patrick Rodgers & Vesa Juvonen
- Preparing your on-premises SharePoint 2013 or 2016 for add-in usage - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- Provider hosted add-in infrastructure setup for SharePoint on-premises - Vesa Juvonen & Bert Jansen
- Introduction to Authentication Manager in PnP Core Library - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- Introduction to Microsoft Graph for Office 365 developer - Paolo Pialorsi & Vesa Juvonen
- oAuth and OpenID Connect for Office 365 developer - Paolo Pialorsi & Vesa Juvonen
- SharePoint feature framework vs Remote Provisioning - Erwin van Hunen, Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- Building Help Desk application with Microsoft Graph - Jonathan Huss & Vesa Juvonen
- Property bag trick for CSOM to enable additional configurations - Vesa Juvonen & Bert Jansen
- Azure AD for Office 365 developer - Radi Atanassov & Vesa Juvonen
- Throttling mechanisms in SharePoint Online - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- SharePoint Nuget Packages and PnP Core component - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- Provisioning engine and reference solution with AngularJS - Brian Michely, Frank Marasco & Vesa Juvonen
- Asynchronous operations with Office 365 using Azure WebJobs - Vesa Juvonen & Bert Jansen
- Branding SharePoint using add-in model techniques - Vesa Juvonen & Bert Jansen
- Introduction to Office Dev PnP Partner Pack - Paolo Pialorsi & Vesa Juvonen
- Introduction to Office Dev PnP Provisioning Engine - Erwin van Hunen & Vesa Juvonen
- Using PnP PowerShell for automating tasks with Office 365 - Erwin van Hunen & Vesa Juvonen
- Background job patterns - Remote timer jobs - Scenarios and approaches - Bert Jansen & Vesa Juvonen
- OneDrive for Business changes from customization perspective with new UI experience - Vesa Juvonen & Bert Jansen
- SharePoint Sandbox Solution Scanner - August 2016
- PnP Provisioning Engine - Introducing PnP file type for template handling - June 2016
- Introducing Bulk UPA Custom Profile Properties Update API - April 2016
- SharePoint Responsive UI Package for on-premises (SP 2013 and SP 2016) - March 2016
- Introduction to Outlook Notifications REST API - March 2016
- Connecting to SharePoint Online from console application with Azure ADAL and PnP Core Component - January 2016
- Using TypeScript in Visual Studio Office add-in project - January 2016
- PnP Partner Pack - Setup and configuration - December 2015
- How to install add-in/app to SharePoint sites using CSOM - November 2015
- Introduction to PnP Transformation Process - June 2015
- Introduction to PnP PowerShell CmdLets - May 2015
- Getting started with PnP Provisioning Engine - May 2015
- Deep dive to PnP Provisioning Engine Schema - May 2015
- Ignite - Deep Dive into Safe SharePoint Branding in Office 365 Using Repeatable Patterns and Practices - May 2015
- Ignite - Future-Proofing Your On-Premises SharePoint Development - May 2015
- Ignite - Transforming Your SharePoint Full Trust Code to the Office App Model - May 2015
- Ignite - Deep Dive into Custom App Provisioning and Deployment in Microsoft Office 365 - May 2015
- Build - Tried and True Practices for Transforming SharePoint Solutions to Cloud-Ready Solutions - April 2015
- Introduction to PnP remote site provisioning engine - April 2015
- Introduction to the PnP timer job framework - March 2015
- Episode 093 with Vesa Juvonen on PnP and the SharePoint Framework
- Episode 083 with Vesa Juvonen on PnP initiative updates
- Episode 071 with Paolo Pialorsi on PnP Partner Pack
- Episode 009 with Vesa Juvonen and Steve Walker
- Episode 031 on Application Lifecycle Management with Vesa Juvonen
- Episode 025 on Solutions, Scenarios & Samples in PnP github repo
- Episode 022 with Suman Chakrabarti on Dev PnP
- Episode 026 on ECM PnP Samples with Frank Marasco
- Episode 018 with Steve Walker on SharePoint UX developer guidance
PnP GitHub repositories
PnP has few different repositories in the GitHub with specific use cases. Here's links and description for each of them.
- PnP - Main repository for SP add-ins
- PnP-Guidance - Repository for guidance articles and materials
- PnP-Sites-Core - Repository for PnP Core component
- nP-PowerShell - Repository for PnP PowerShell Cmdlet's
- PnP-Provisioning-Schema - Repository for remote provisioning schema design
- PnP-Transformation - Repository for Transformation tooling
- PnP-Tools - Scripts and tools for SharePoint on-premises and Office 365