We are happy to announce worldwide availability of the Bulk UPA Custom Profile Properties Update API cross all SharePoint Online tenants. This API has been in developer preview and available in first release tenants for a while, but has been now enabled cross other tenants as well. The API provides an easy way to bulk update user profile properties in SharePoint Online. Typical example use cases the following:
- Synchronize Line-of-Business system profile information to SharePoint Online. An example usage would be to expose it to Search or consume the properties via customizations
- Migrating to SharePoint Online from on-premises with custom profile properties
The API works in a way that you provide the needed user profile updates for numerous profiles, using a file, which is then processed by SharePoint as one asynchronous process. You can find the exact usage details from following blog post, which was released when this API was introduced for preview usage.
Here's the previously released demo on the API usage from Channel 9.
Here are existing resources for this API.
- Introducing Bulk UPA Custom Profile Properties Update API - With additional documentation and implementation details
- SharePoint PnP Demo - Introducing Buil API Custom Profile Properties API - Demo with managed code and PowerShell
- SharePoint PnP Webcast - Introduction to Builk UPA Custom Profile Properties Update API
- User Profile Batch Update API (UserProfile.BatchUpdate.API) - Code sample demonstrated in videos
“Sharing is caring”
Vesa Juvonen, Senior Program Manager, SharePoint, Microsoft - 19th of September 2016