Add-in commands for Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
For an overview of the feature, see the video Add-in Commands in the Office Ribbon.
Add-in with commands running in Excel Desktop
Add-in with commands running in Excel Online
The following command capabilities are currently supported.
Note: Content add-ins do not currently support add-in commands.
- Ribbon tabs - Extend built-in tabs or create a new custom tab.
- Context menus - Extend selected context menus.
- Simple buttons - trigger specific actions.
- Menus - simple menu dropdown with buttons that trigger actions.
- ShowTaskpane - Displays one or multiple panes that load custom HTML pages inside them.
Add-in commands are currently supported on the following platforms:
- Office for Windows Desktop 2016 (build 16.0.6769.0000 or later)
- Office Online with personal accounts
- Office Online with work/school accounts (Preview)
- Office for Mac (Preview)
More platforms are coming soon.
Get started with add-in commands
The best way to get started using add-in commands is via samples. See the Office Add-in commands samples on GitHub.
For detailed manifest rerence information, see Define add-in commands in your manifest.